Enter your personal details below:
Enter your account details below:
Waiver and Indemnification
I state that I am capable and experienced in using the tools I am borrowing, and that I will use the tools I am borrowing in a proper manner.
I do hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, in consideration of being permitted to borrow tools, agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless the City of Richmond, its officers, agents, volunteers, and employees from any and all liability, loss, claims, demands, actions or causes of action for the death or injury to any persons and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person which arises or may arise or be occasioned in any way from the use of tools I am borrowing from the Richmond Tool Library. I am aware that the City of Richmond, Richmond Tool Library, its partners, directors, officers, members, volunteers, and employees claim no expertise and make no representation concerning the fitness of any tool for any particular use.
I affirm that the above information is current, true and correct and may be subject to verification. I further state that I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of the Richmond Tool Library and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me. I have read and signed a waiver and indemnification form, relinquishing any and all claims against the City of Richmond and the Richmond Tool Library.
Richmond Tool Library - Rules and Regulations
Who May Borrow
1. Only residents of the City of Richmond or Richmond property owners over the age of 18 are eligible to borrow tools from the Richmond Tool Library (RTL). No more than ten (10) items may be borrowed at any time. Out of those ten (10) items, up to five (5) can be power tools.
2. Borrowers must register with the RTL and Richmond Public Library prior to borrowing tools. Registration will be complete upon verification of the borrower’s Richmond address or Richmond property ownership if the borrower resides outside of Richmond. Verification is accomplished by presenting ALL three (3) of the following items, in-person, at the on-site tool library location:
*Patrons who rent mailboxes must provide proof of residency or property ownership in Richmond before being granted borrowing privileges at the RTL.
Please note: a driver's license will not satisfy as proof of residency.
3. All tools and equipment lent by the RTL are the property of the RTL. Only the borrower is authorized to use the tools. The borrower shall not permit the use of said tools by any other person except by the express permission of the RTL.
4. The borrower agrees that the RTL is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed tools.
5. The borrower agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, the borrower will immediately discontinue use of the tool and return it to the RTL.
6. Before borrowing any tool or any piece of equipment, the borrower shall sign a form of waiver and indemnification to be provided by the RTL, which shall be kept on file at the RTL. The borrower acknowledges that he or she is capable of using the tool in a safe and proper manner.
7. Tools must be returned to a staff during hours of operations. Any tools not returned to an RTL staff member during the hours of operation, will still be under the responsibility of the patron. Any negligence, damage, defects, and/or loss of tools will be levied unto the patron and can result in the revocation of patron’s borrowing privileges.
1. Loan periods for tools seven (7) days, depending on the demand and type of tool. The borrower agrees to return any borrowed item on or before the due date in the same condition, normal wear and tear excepted, as when it was borrowed. The borrower agrees to pay for the loss of, or damage to, any tool on loan to him or her. The borrower further understands that fines will be levied for each item kept past the due date. Repeated failure to return tools on time may result in revocation of borrowing privileges. The library reserves the right to limit the number of tools borrowed and to alter the maximum loan period.
1. The borrower agrees to return any borrowed item on or before the due date in the same condition, normal wear and tear excepted, as when it was borrowed. The borrower agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any tool on loan.
2. The borrower further understands that fines will be levied for each item kept past the due date, up to $5 per tool per operating day of the Richmond Tool Library. The RTL only accepts late fees in cash at the moment. Repeated failure to return tools on time may result in revocation of borrowing privileges. Accounts accruing more than $10 in late fees will be suspended until fees are paid.
3. If tools are not returned after a notice has been sent, appropriate steps will be taken to retrieve them, including by collection agency and/or legal action.
4. The RTL reserves the right to limit the number of tools borrowed and to alter the maximum loan period at any time.
Tool Renewals – In-Person, Online, or by Phone
1. If the borrower wishes to renew the loan of the tool, he or she may do so on or before the due date at the Richmond Tool Library. Borrowers can renew tools by either visiting the RTL in-person, calling, or emailing the RTL staff during or before hours of operation. Failure to notify staff prior to closing time may result in late fees. If there are no reserves on the item, it may be borrowed for one (1) additional loan period. Up to two (2) consecutive renewals may be made at the Richmond Tool Library, dependent on the reserve status of the item. The library reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals.
Tool Renewals – Online
1. Tools may be self-renewed for up to two (2) additional loan periods through myTurn. The address for the Richmond Tool Library myTurn website is:https://richmondtoollibrary.myturn.com/. Navigate to your account, click on ‘Loans’, look for the tool you wish to renew and click ‘renew’. Self-renewal is available to you halfway through your loan periods.
1. RTL memberships are valid for one calendar year; the starting date begins on the day the member signed up with the RTL.
2. To renew membership, members must bring, in person, proof of Richmond residency or ownership (dated within the past 60 days) during the month the patron signed up with the RTL. Once residency is verified, the membership will be renewed for another year, starting on that date.
3. If the RTL member has not renewed their membership by its expiration date, tool borrowing will be suspended until residency verification is complete.
4. The library retains the right to alter or suspend any of the above membership renewal policies.
Reservations - Individuals and Groups
1. Borrowers may make a reserve request. Patrons can visit MyTurn.com and go through the reservations process online in order to do so. Reservations should be submitted at least five (5) calendar days prior to your start date so staff can coordinate the logistics of the reservation. Reservations made with less than five (5) days notice may not be guaranteed. All loan rule and regulations apply for reservations.
2. If tools are requested for a large group, such as a volunteer or community service days, coordinators must contact the RTL a minimum of 10 calendar days prior to project commencement.
3. Local agencies/non-profits can check out more than ten (10) tools if needed at staff's discretion, but will require that tools be returned the next day that the Tool Library is open.
4. The coordinating person in contact with the RTL regarding their large group project will be responsible for overseeing all tools that are loaned out for the project. All applicable rules and regulations will be in effect.
5. If the borrower fails to come for the tool as agreed on the requested start date, the library may lend the tool(s) to another borrower, reduce length of reservation, or return it to available inventory. No tool will be held beyond closing time.
6. The library retains the right to alter or suspend any of the above reserve policies.
The Richmond Tool Library retains the right to refuse the loan of any item for failure to comply with any of the above rules and regulations, or for falsification of any information.
Already have an account?
Forgot your password?